The curriculum and pedagogy of the Martin Luther King Jr Freedom Center draws upon traditions of the science of nonviolence, social justice, sovereignty, and internationalism. The following is a suggested reading list for further reference.
- Barber, B. R. (2004). Strong democracy: Participatory politics for a new age. Los Angeles:
University of California Press.
- Benlevi, J. (2011). Too much magic: Pulling the plug on the cult of tech. San Francisco, CA:
- Brameld, T. (1965). Education as power (p. 146). New York, NY: Holy, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
- Brameld, T. (1976). The teacher as world citizen. Palm Springs, CA: ETC Publications.
- Dahl, R. (2001). How democratic is the American Constitution? New haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Dewey, J. (1916). Democracy and education. The Philosophical Review (Vol. 25, p. 735).
- Dewey, J. (1984). Individualism old and new. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.
- DuBois, W. E. B. (1994). The souls of Black folk. New York, NY: Dover Publications.
- DuBois, W.E.B. (1935). Black Reconstruction in America 1960-1880. New York: The Free Press.
- Edelman, M. W. (1992). The Measure of your success: a letter to my children and yours. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Huxley, A. (1937). Ends and means. New York, NY: Harper & Brothers Publishers.
- Kelley, E. (1947). Education for what is real. New York, NY: Harper & Brothers.
- King, M. L. (1963). Letter from Birmingham jail. Retrieved March 24, 2012, from http://heinonlinebackup.com/hol-cgi-bin/get_pdf.cgi?handle=hein.journals/davlr26§ion=31
- King, M. L. (1967a). The trumpet of conscience. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- King, M. L., Jr. (1968). Chaos or community: Where do we go from here? Westminster, London, UK: Penguin Books.
- Laski, H. (1935). Democracy in crisis. Chapel Hill: University of North California Press.
- O’Dell, J.H. (2010). Climbin’ Jacob’s ladder: The Black freedom movement writings of Jack O’Dell. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Padover, S. K. (1973). Sources of democracy. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Patrick, J. (2003). Essential elements of education for democracy: What are they and why should they be at the core of the curriculum in schools. October 16, 2003 in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University.
- Washington, J. (1986). A testament of hope. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- West, C. (2014). Black prophetic fire. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Wilson, R. (2002). Leadership poetry workshop: Creating peace and strengthening democracy. Kent, WA: Institute for Community Leadership.
- Woodson, C. (2010). The MisEducation of the Negro. Seven Treasures Publications.