and Elihu Harris
Chaos or Community: Where Do We Go From Here?
The Barbara Lee and Elihu Harris Lecture Series, co-produced by the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center and Peralta Community College District, promotes an ample exchange of ideas to help inspire and move forward new leadership and servantship.
Broad East Bay audiences of all ages are exposed to some of our nation’s most courageous and exemplary civil and human rights figures, engaging in creative solutions and challenges to some of the most crucial issues facing our communities today: economic inequity, voter disenfranchisement, systemic racism, violence in schools and neighborhoods, police brutality, and the contradictions and ramifications of extreme poverty.
Lectures are organized by the youth and staff at the Freedom Center, with a focus on promoting ideas and actions rooted in principles of nonviolence, and lessons from some of our nation’s most significant civil rights struggles.
Barbara Lee and Elihu Harris Lectures—Click to view
- Bishop Nathan D. Baxter
- Congresswoman Sheila Jackson
- Tribute to the Life of John Robert Lewis
- Secretary Lonnie Bunch III
- Stacey Abrams
- Anna Mwalagho
- Danny Glover
- Ari Berman
- Anita Hill
- Congressman James Clyburn
- Bob Moses
- Congresswoman Terri Sewell
- Bobby Seale
- Dr. Clayborne Carson and Dr. Clarence Jones
- Minnijean Brown Trickey and Dr. Terrence Roberts
- Reverend James Lawson, Jr
- Dolores Huerta and Senator Art Torres
- Peter V. Lee and Dr. Coyness Ennix
- Martin Luther King III
- Donzaleigh Abernathy, Luci Baines Johnson, Kerry Kennedy and Peggy Wallace Kennedy
- Dr. Helene Gayle
- Mayor Julian Castro
- Congressman John Lewis
- Ambassador Andrew Young
- Jack Hunter O’Dell and Bob Zellner
- Dr. Dorothy Cotton and Reverend C. T. Vivia
For more information on the Barbara Lee and Elihu Harris Lecture Series, please contact our offices at 510-434-3988.